Tuesday, December 29, 2015

3D-MODELLING & INTERPRETATION FOR UNDERWATER ARCHAEOLOGY WORKSHOP

A UNESCO UNITWIN Network workshop in 3D-Modelling and Interpretation for Underwater Archaeology is being held at Flinders University, Sturt Road, Bedford Park, South Australia from 24th-26th November 2016. It is being held in the new Digital Archaeology Lab, a state of the art facility optimised for 3D computer applications in archaeology.

Anchors lost by Matthew Flinders in 1803 were located in 1973

43 YEARS AGO, two anchors lost by Matthew Flinders in 1803 were located in Goose Island Bay on 14th January 1973 by members of the Underwater Explorers Club of SA. The anchors were both raised up by the lighthouse ship Cape Don on 19th January 1973. They have now been preserved and restored. The best bower anchor is now located at the SA Maritime Museum at Port Adelaide. The stream anchor was placed in Canberra along with an anchor from James Cook’s Endeavour.

KEEP BOATS AWAY FROM WRECKS

South Australia's Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources Compliance Unit Manager, Adrian Robb says, “It’s important that boats keep away from wrecks like the Zanoni, as they are very delicate and can easily be damaged by anchors, ropes, chains and fishing lines. Six people were fined in November after being caught fishing on the Zanoni, and another 11 similar cases are pending.” He says that water and aerial patrols were being conducted in the area to ensure that fishers and boaters were respecting the rules. “The maximum fine for being found in a historic shipwreck protected zone without a permit is $1250,” he said. Anyone caught fishing in a marine park sanctuary zone faces a $315 expiation, but serious and repeat offenders can be fined up to $100,000. Download the SA Recreational Fishing Guide app for accurate information on the location of marine park sanctuary zones. 

ONLINE VIDEO FOOTAGE OF 'TWO SHIPS PROJECT'

Video footage of two Curtin University Research Week 2015 presentations regarding the HMAS Sydney and HSK Kormoran is now available online. The video is titled 'Two Ships Project' and can be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qQS-RuFYGM .

Friday, July 31, 2015

The John V. Moran discovered by divers

“DIVERS FIND PRISTINE 116-YEAR-OLD SHIPWRECK IN LAKE MICHIGAN
Divers discovered a 116-year-old shipwreck at the bottom of Lake Michigan that is being called one of the best-preserved wrecks in the Great Lakes. The John V. Moran is also one of the deepest wrecks dived in the expansive lake that is home to some 2,000 sunken vessels dating back to the 1800s. Only 360 have been found thus far. "The John V. Moran has been on our hit list for quite a while," said Craig Rich, co-director of the Michigan Shipwreck Research Association. "We've quietly been researching it, and decided this year we'd go out after it." The story of the John V. Moran began unfolding in February 1899. The 214-foot ship was traveling Lake Michigan from Milwaukee to Muskegon to deliver cargo when it slammed into an ice floe. With an iron-reinforced hull, the 11-year-old ship had been built to withstand the harsh winters, but the hole in the hull was too big and the ship took on water. The 25-person crew escaped unharmed by walking across the icy lake, reported to be about -30 degrees F at the time, to an approaching ship. Even though the John V. Moran was still afloat the next morning, it sunk as it was being towed 15 miles to shore. In early June, members of the shipwreck research association took to the waters in search of the elusive ship and discovered it using a remotely operated vehicle with an attached camera. By mid-July, divers took to the water to take a closer look. What they found was a ship remarkably intact. "Not a railing is missing," Rich said. "The mast is standing. The lights are standing. The anchors are in position. There's even glass still in the windows."

HMAS Tobruk

HMAS Tobruk, Pennant L50, was decommissioned in July. There is a chance that she could be scuttled as a dive wreck. The Tobruk Dive Experience Team has been trying to secure the Tobruk as a dive wreck at St Helens, Tasmania. According to the web page found at http://www.tobrukdiving.com.au/history/ , “HMAS Tobruk (II) . . . is a multi-purpose troop and roll-on/roll-off, heavy vehicle carrier.” She had been in service for 34 years. 

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Crowd-funding to save HMS M.33

OK, so it's not a shipwreck, but an Indiegogo campaign to raise crowd-funding to save HMS M33, a WWI veteran and the only survivor of Gallipoli, can be found at https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hms-m-33 . According to the webpage, “HMS M.33 is a unique survivor. Launched in May 1915 this vessel is the sole remaining British veteran of that year’s bloody Gallipoli Campaign, and also of the Russian Civil War which followed. Only three British warships from the First World War still exist and HMS M.33 will be the only one open to the public on August 6th, in time for the Gallipoli centenary. In order to avoid such an important ship to be forgotten, a project dedicated in bringing M33 to life in under way. The main objectives are to conserve and repair, so that this amazing vessel can be appreciated and understood by future generations. The ship will be made physically and intellectually accessible. New interpretation and activities will engage people of all ages and backgrounds with M33’s history, the stories of the men who served on board, and the history of Gallipoli – one of the key campaigns of the Great War.” The aim is to raise £19,150. That is a symbolic amount due to 1915 being the year HMS M.33 was built and launched. That amount represents just under 10% of the £250,000 to be raised by the Museum for the completion of the fundraising campaign. The 5-week campaign ends on 18th March and only 19% (£3,557) had been raised during the first week. Further details can be found on Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_M33